You are here: Home » Blog

Worker DID die of asbestos exposure, Bolton inquest hears

mesothelioma from topasbestosremoval.comAn inquest has recently heard that a man who died in September has a died from an asbestos-related cancer.

John Devine was employed by a company from 1954 to 1980 and had a history of working with asbestos and asbesos-related materials.

The Bolton inquest was told that in July Mr Devine, aged 79, had written a statement — read out in court — detailing his working life in Little Lever where he was exposed to asbestos.

Although provided with gas masks, the workers, according to Devine, were never given any warning or rules relating to the dangers of asbestos.

Devine was diagnosed with mesothelioma in May – a cancer well known to be caused by exposure to asbestos.

Chemotherapy was started but discontinued when Devine became too ill for the treatment. He died at a hospice on 21st September.

Pathologist Dr Patrick Waugh confirmed that Mr Devine was suffering from heart disease, but had died as a result of malignant pleural mesothelioma and confirmed this would be “undoubtedly” as a result of his expose to asbestos during his working life.

Deputy coroner Alan Walsh said Mr Devine had died as a result of an industrial disease.

January 2, 2013 at 7:44 am | Asbestos Infomation, Asbestos Removal |
Tags: , , , , , | No Comments »

Trackback URL for this post:
http://www.topasbestosremoval.co.uk/3347/trackback

Staffs County Council fined for nursery asbestos exposure

Staffordshire County Council and a refurbishment contractor have been fined for exposing a nursery school and two workers to asbestos fibres. school sign topasbestosremoval.com

Rugeley firm G Evans (Services) Ltd was refurbishing Glenthorne Community Primary School in Cheslyn Hay for the council when the incident happened on Friday 13 February 2009.

Stafford Crown Court heard that two joiners were cutting through a large built-in cupboard in the nursery class when they noticed unidentified material nailed to the back of it.

They showed this to their site manager, who allowed them to carry on dismantling the cupboard and to detach the material. However, the material was asbestos insulating board, which by law should only be moved by a licensed asbestos removal contractor. The court heard how the joiners used an ordinary vacuum cleaner to clear up dust and debris, which would also have spread asbestos fibres in the air.

On the Friday the work was undertaken, seventeen children aged between three and four, were in the classroom for half-day sessions together with a teacher and a teaching assistant. A school cleaner, who was working in the classroom later in the day, was also exposed to the potentially dangerous substance.

The following Monday, an analyst who was monitoring asbestos levels in the air during licensed asbestos removal work, spotted pieces of asbestos insulating board in an open skip. The school was closed immediately for investigation and subsequent decontamination.

A Health & Safety Executive (HSE) investigation into the incident found Staffordshire County Council had failed to carry out a pre-refurbishment asbestos survey in the nursery before work started. These surveys were essential to ensure that anyone who was likely to work or disturb asbestos was provided with information on the location and condition of the asbestos.

G Evans (Services) Ltd had not taken sufficient steps to identify the asbestos insulating board attached to the cupboard before work started and its procedures for identifying asbestos containing materials were inadequate which permitted their site manager to assume the material was safe to work with and to continue disturbing it. The court heard the work should have been stopped until the material had been investigated further.

HSE inspector David Brassington said after the hearing: “A series of assumptions and missed opportunities led to contractors, school staff and nursery age children being exposed to asbestos fibres during refurbishment work.

“The joiners who were working directly with the asbestos were significantly exposed to the disturbed fibres– something that should not have happened with proper planning and access to an asbestos survey before work commenced.

“Fortunately, the risk to children and school staff who were in the classroom the same day as the asbestos was disturbed will have been lower because they spent less time in the nursery at the time when the asbestos was initially disturbed.

“This incident has understandably caused a great deal of anxiety. As soon as the suspect material was found the work should have been stopped for further investigation.

“The long term health risks associated with exposure to asbestos dust are well known and it is unacceptable for incidents such as this to be taking place.”

Staffordshire County Council, of Tipping Street, Stafford, pleaded guilty to breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and was today (14 December) fined £10,000and ordered to pay £5,000 costs.

December 26, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Asbestos Removal |
Tags: , , , , , , , | No Comments »

Trackback URL for this post:
http://www.topasbestosremoval.co.uk/staffs-county-council-fined-for-nursery-asbestos-exposure/trackback

Former shipwright wins asbestos case

Shipyard asbestos dust topasbestosremoval.comA former shipwright from Sunderland who suffered from lung cancer, has won his case after exposure to asbestos.

Robert Kemp, 75, was exposed to the material while working at the shipyards between the 1950s and 1980s.

The retired man suffered from a cough and chest pain in the summer of 2010, before doctors told him that there was a 90% chance of cancer. A biopsy later revealed that Mr Kemp was suffering from diffuse pleural thickening which leaves him breathless and unable to walk long distances.

“This has had a huge impact on my life,” he said.

“It is very frustrating that I cannot do the things I used to be able to do. I am terrified that I will get asbestos cancer in the future and this fear lives with me all the time.”

Mr Kemp had previously been diagnosed with pleural plaques and through the GMB, he approached Thompsons Solicitors for advice, only to find the law had changed to end compensation for the condition.

He approached the firm again after being told he probably had cancer, and Thompsons was successful in securing compensation from two of his former employers’ insurers.

The provisional settlement allows him to make a further claim for compensation if his condition worsens in the future due to asbestos-related disease.

December 19, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Asbestos Infomation |
Tags: , , , , , , | No Comments »

Trackback URL for this post:
http://www.topasbestosremoval.co.uk/former-shipwright-wins-asbestos-case/trackback

Dale Farm declared a no go zone after deadly asbestos is uncovered

The former Dale Farm traveller site has been marked as a no go area after asbestos was found on some of the bulldozed plots.

It is not yet known whether asbestos was dug up during the eviction or if it was dumped by fly-tippers afterwards. Either way, officials from the Environment Agency are urging no one to venture onto the site while an investigation is carried out.

An agency spokeswoman said: “We advised residents to stay away from the cleared area of Dale Farm as a precaution. “

When consultants visited the site to take samples they identified bonded asbestos sheeting on some plots. “

Asbestos can have health implications if broken up so people were advised to avoid any actions that might break it up or disturb it.”

December 11, 2012 at 6:24 pm | Asbestos Infomation |
Tags: , , , , , , , | No Comments »

Trackback URL for this post:
http://www.topasbestosremoval.co.uk/dale-farm-declared-a-no-go-zone-after-deadly-asbestos-is-uncovered/trackback

Deadly asbestos panels were found dumped in a Blackpool alley

For the second time now, residents in South Shore have discovered industrial waste including asbestos sheeting dumped in the alley behind their homes by fly-tippers.

Parents were concerned that children could have come into contact with the fibres whilst playing in the alleyway.

Coun Fred Jackson, cabinet member for streets and transport for Blackpool Council, said: “All fly tipping is a crime, but this is exceptionally serious.

“It goes without saying how dangerous asbestos can be. We believe that this has been done by an organised group, and will use all methods at our disposal to catch the culprits and bring them to justice.”

December 3, 2012 at 5:11 pm | asbestos disposal, Asbestos Removal, Mesothelioma |
Tags: , , , , , , , | No Comments »

Trackback URL for this post:
http://www.topasbestosremoval.co.uk/deadly-asbestos-panels-were-found-dumped-in-a-blackpool-alley/trackback

Is asbestos not a problem of the past?

There are still serious cases of asbestos contamination that are found in public buildings today.

Just under a month ago pupils had to be moved out of a school in Wales after browns asbestos fibres were discovered in air within the school during a structural survey.

As a result the school was closed down permanently. All other schools in Wales were also ordered to undergo air testing on a routine basis.

This would indicate that asbestos is not just a problem of the industrial past and continuing awareness of its dangers still remains necessary.

November 10, 2012 at 9:00 am | Asbestos Infomation |
Tags: , , , , , , , | No Comments »

Trackback URL for this post:
http://www.topasbestosremoval.co.uk/is-asbestos-not-a-problem-of-the-past/trackback

Scouts group calls for Stoke-on-Trent council action after asbestos scare

Scout leaders are calling for Stoke-on-Trent City Council to finalise the lease on their building so they can take action to stop fly-tippers.

The 67th Burslem Scout Group needs a £15,000 grant to pay for a security fence around the building.

Group leader Colin Greatbatch said talks with the council have been going on for more than four years. Now, with fly-tippers striking again by dumping a pile of white asbestos just yards from the building entrance, action needs to be taken.

Mr Greatbatch says the health risk to children should mean the lease issue is sorted out as a matter of urgency.

He said: “The fly-tipping has been going on for years. It’s usually every couple of weeks.

“Luckily I arrived early and saw the asbestos before anyone else got here. Otherwise the scouts might have started playing on it, which is obviously very dangerous.”

October 26, 2012 at 11:32 am | Asbestos Removal |
Tags: , , , , , , , , , | No Comments »

Trackback URL for this post:
http://www.topasbestosremoval.co.uk/scouts-group-calls-for-stoke-on-trent-council-action-after-asbestos-scare/trackback

Brewery fined after asbestos exposure

A Cornish brewery has been fined after workmen refurbishing a Dartmoor pub were left exposed to asbestos.

The incident happened at the Three Crowns pub in Chagford, Devon, in January 2010.

The workmen discovered the asbestos when demolishing walls and were instructed to remove it without adequate protection.

St Austell Brewery was fined £5,000 by Exeter magistrates for breaching Control of Asbestos Regulations. Building contractor Cowley’s Building and Maintenance Ltd of Colyton, Devon, and its director Christopher Reed were also prosecuted.

October 24, 2012 at 11:31 am | Asbestos Removal |
Tags: , , , , | No Comments »

Trackback URL for this post:
http://www.topasbestosremoval.co.uk/brewery-fined-after-asbestos-exposure/trackback

Colchester Zoo fined for asbestos disposal breach

Colchester Zoo has been fined £30,000 for a string of health and safety offences involving asbestos.

Charges against Colchester Zoo were brought by Colchester Borough Council following a routine health and safety check in June 2010.

The inspector performing the inspection found asbestos boards taken from a hay barn and dumped in a skip, Chelmsford Crown Court heard.

The organistion admitted to 12 health and safety breaches including failing to adequately protect staff.

The zoo said: “Colchester Zoo deeply regrets that on this one occasion, as a result of an administrative oversight, proper procedures were not followed.”

October 22, 2012 at 8:30 am | asbestos disposal |
Tags: , , , , , | No Comments »

Trackback URL for this post:
http://www.topasbestosremoval.co.uk/colchester-zoo-fined-for-asbestos-disposal-breach/trackback

The Queen faces multi-million pound asbestos removal bill

The Queen is facing a multi-million pound bill for removing potentially deadly asbestos from Buckingham Palace.

According to royal accounts, almost £1 million of public money has already been spent stripping asbestos from electrical cabling ducts under the flooring in the south wing of the 19th-century building.

Further work to remove the building material from other parts of the palace will take place over 20 years, with the total bill for ensuring the Royals and courtiers avoid developing mesothelioma coming to several millions of pounds.

October 20, 2012 at 9:31 am | Asbestos Removal |
Tags: , , , , | No Comments »

Trackback URL for this post:
http://www.topasbestosremoval.co.uk/the-queen-faces-multi-million-pound-asbestos-removal-bill/trackback

Next Page »